The lower left drawing is of Main Street, Edgartown, around 1880. The large building on the right was the Methodist church from 1828 until 1843, being sold to the town in 1849, to become the existing Town Hall. The whaling ship at Osborn Wharf (now the site of the Yacht Club) is the Splendid. Chappaquiddick in the distance is virtually without buildings, being used then for sheep and cattle grazing at that time.
The upper left image is of the steamer Martha's Vineyard at the Edgartown Steamboat Wharf about 1880. She ran from Edgartown to New Bedford once a day, spending the night tied up at this dock.
The drawing in the upper right portrays the first Edgartown lighthouse and keeper's dwelling, which was built in 1828 on a manmade island about a quarter mile out in the harbor on a shoal. A wooden trestle bridge was built in 1830 to connect it to the shore. During the 1930s the building was badly storm-damaged and was replaced in 1935 by the current lighthouse.
The center view is of Edgartown harbor around 1890. Collins Beach on the left is where the original Mayhew house was built in the 1640s. The handsome houses and the three churches were built between 1825 and 1850. The center steeple, on the Baptist Church, is no longer there although the building remains. On the right a coastal schooner (called a "coaster") sails out of the harbor.